Launched by Facebook a few years ago, React.js has quickly become the darling of the frontend development world. Speed, scalability, and SEO-friendliness are just a few of the reasons why Uber, Netflix, and others of the world’s best-known web apps (including Facebook, of course) run on this library.
But what does it cost to build a website on React? Well, it’ll largely depend on many factors, including how much your React.js developers want to be paid. In this article, I’ll explain:
- What React.js developers do.
- Why they can be expensive.
- How much they earn in different countries.
- Where you can find the top talent at affordable prices.
Interested? Read on.
What do React.js developers do?
React.js developers are frontend specialists. This means that they participate in all stages of frontend development, including the following functions:
- Review and discuss UI design ideas with the development team.
- Design and implement frontend architecture.
- Check for frontend bugs and fix as necessary.
- Monitor frontend performance.
- Make updates and document frontend changes.
However, their knowledge and tech stack goes beyond React.js. Using the library properly requires expertise in frontend languages, code versioning tools, performance-testing frameworks, and more.
React.js job market: What’s going on?
According to Stack Overflow’s annual developer survey, it’s the second-most preferred frontend library. And for good reason: its code stability, reusable components, a wide range of UI tools, and strong community support all make React.js apps easy to build and scale.
React.js is one of the most in-demand frameworks in the market. Compared to other development tools, React.js has the largest gap between the percentage of developers who know the library and the percentage of companies who need specialists with this skill set. In 2020, developers with React.js expertise had 2.7 times more interviews than the average engineer.
Though the React.js talent pool is gradually growing, with 32% of developers planning to learn the library in 2021, most companies don’t have time to wait until there are enough experts to meet market demand. Employers compete to make the best job offers possible, and as a result, React.js salaries keep increasing.
But luckily, React.js salaries are not increasing equally everywhere. Read on to see what I mean.
Average React.js developer salaries across the US
The highest-paid developers reside in the United States, and React.js engineers are no exception. According to PayScale, React.js engineers average salaries are about $82,863 yearly in the US, but salaries vary depending on the cost of living and other factors across the country.
Let’s take a closer look at how much React.js developers will cost you in different US cities, according to PayScale.
So, if you’re looking for affordable React.js expertise within the US, you can cut your cost considerably by hiring engineers who live in less expensive regions.
Average React.js developer salaries outside the US
Outsourcing to Minneapolis instead of San Francisco is not the only way to save on React.js development; you can also look at markets outside the US. Here’s how much engineers with React.js expertise earn in the UK, Germany, Netherlands, and Israel, according to PayScale.
If you’re looking for even more budget-friendly alternatives without compromising quality, consider hiring in Eastern Europe. According to Glassdoor, Djinni, and No Fluff Jobs, the average React.js developer salaries in Poland, Romania, and Ukraine are as follows:
But why is the difference so huge? The reason is simple: the cost of living in Eastern Europe is much lower than, say, in Germany or the US. But this doesn’t mean Eastern European developers are any less qualified than their US peers. Ukrainian engineers are known for their extensive technical expertise, competent English skills, and cultural proximity to the US and Western Europe.
Other factors that affect salaries
Location plays a crucial role in how much React.js developers earn, but it isn’t the only factor. A closer look at React.js developer salaries reveals huge variation within a given region. For example, React.js developer salaries in Los Angeles range from $58,000 to $120,000.
So, what else determines earning power? When hiring talent, here are several factors to consider:
- Experience. Seniority level can have a dramatic effect on the pay of engineers. For example, in the UK, entry-level React.js engineers (less than one year of experience) can expect to earn £28,386 per year, while more senior experts (more than 20 years of experience) may command £54,787.
- Technical skills. All frontend technologies aren’t created equal; they vary in complexity and demand. So, be prepared that React.js developers with different tech stacks might have different salary expectations.
- Management skills. Team leading is an example of a valuable skill—keeping a team moving in the right direction is challenging. Thus, React.js developers with team-leading experience earn more than those without a management background.
- Niche. Just like technologies, some niches are more in demand and more complex than others. For example, React.js development in healthcare or finance costs more than projects in education.
To conclude, what’s the best way to save on React.js development?
React.js apps are a pleasure to build and use, so it’s no surprise that expertise in this library is in high demand. And because of the demand, hiring React.js developers can take a big bite out of your IT budget. However, you aren’t doomed to fork out a fortune.
Instead of hiring a developer in the US who might earn an average of $82,863, you can hire a Ukrainian developer with similar expertise for only $33,660. That’s almost four times less expensive. Why not benefit from the global variance in salaries?
If you are looking for developers with deep React.js expertise in Ukraine, you’re in the right place. At Altigee, you’ll find engineers who can bring your wildest tech ideas to life. Want a cost and time frame estimate? Need a consultation? Feel free to contact us and submit any inquiries, we will be glad to assist you!